Forklift Truck Engineer Jobs
Forklift truck engineers service and repair lift trucks.Salary: £18, 000 to £30, 000 average per year Hours: 40 per week
1. Entry requirementsThere are no set requirements, but you could take a college course in a subject like vehicle or plant maintenance.
Experience or qualifications in LGV (lorry) service and repair, agricultural machinery or mechanical and electrical engineering maintenance would be helpful.
2. Skills required
- practical skills
- the ability to solve problems
- organisational skills
- communication and negotiation skills
- IT skills
3. What you'll do
You’ll service and repair forklift trucks, hand trucks, or large trucks that move shipping containers, so they work correctly and meet safety standards.
Your day-to-day tasks could include:
- visiting clients on-site with a mobile workshop
- identifying problems or fine-tuning performance using a laptop or hand-held computers
- repairing or replacing faulty parts
- servicing engines
- test-driving trucks and making any adjustments
- carrying out annual safety checks
Starter: £18, 000 to £22, 000
Experienced: up to £25, 000
Highly Experienced: £30, 000 or more
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environmentYou’ll usually work 40 hours a week, including shift work and overtime.
You’ll be based in a workshop, but spend much of your time visiting clients.
This is a physically active role, so you'll need a reasonable level of fitness.
You'll usually need a driving licence.